Monday, November 8, 2010

Mondays


For the first time in a while, today I was unable to complete the Monday crossword. Rex gave it a rating of medium, but I thought it was HARD. I am kind of sick, so I will use that as an excuse.

But I'm expected to think of Erse on a Monday morning? And I'm still not sure what asis (sales tag words) means.

I think really what today came down to is that I am a poor US History student (first president to be impeached: Johnson) and that a lot of the clues were referencing things and people that are far outside my area of interests, like golfer Larry Mize

I felt some real bonding with Rex today, for two reasons. One is that we both made the same mistake: "Sadly, I finished with a stupid error: Had PAT for PET (41D: Caress)"

The second was because of his signing off paragraph. Rex often does the crossword the night before it comes out in the paper (they're available earlier online). Today (or last night, I guess) he gave us some information about his bedtime ritual:


"See you tomorrow. I'm going to try to squeeze in another 'Mad Men' before bed. That, or keep (re-)reading 'Lolita.'"

That's pretty diary-like. It definitely made me feel a bit more of a personal connection with Rex, though I realize it's completely one-sided. It's also interesting that he likes Mad Men. Our bedtime rituals are not too far apart, except that I've been reading Moby Dick. Perhaps I could write a blog about commercials every day and Rex could read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment