Sunday, October 25, 2009

Peer Opinions

Last night I saw a guy from Natick, Jeremy, who I haven’t seen since I left for college. It turns out he has an undergraduate degree in communications with a focus in copywriting. He told me how tough it has been for him to find a job. After graduation he moved to Los Angeles for a few months. He applied to every advertising agency he could find, but had no success. As of now, he is unemployed and lives in Natick with his parents. He repeatedly stressed the current lack of job market. His story terrified me.

When I told Jeremy that I just started the BU graduate program for advertising, he was suddenly very optimistic. He said that, from his experience, he thought that staying in school right now was the best thing anyone could do, that a focused masters program like BU’s would give me a lot of advantages, and that he had heard BU particularly was great for making connections and building a strong portfolio. I think I may have detected a glint of jealousy behind his earnest support of my decision.

I usually feel secure about going back to school, but I do sometimes wonder if it was the best choice for me. Talking with Jeremy made me further realize how lucky I am to be at Boston University, and reinforced my determination to take advantage of my current situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment